WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT?
AHDS is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data. AHDS is the data controller and our contact details are PO Box 18532, Inverurie, AB51 0WS, 0333 1210051 and email@example.com.
This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal data about you during and after your working relationship with us, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). It applies to all current and previous members.
It is important that you read and retain this notice, together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal data about you, so that you are aware of how and why we are using such information and what your rights are under the data protection legislation.
DATA PROTECTION PRINCIPLES
We will comply with data protection law. This says that the personal data we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
THE KIND OF INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
Personal data means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
There are “special categories” of more sensitive personal data which require a higher level of protection, such as information about a person’s health or sexual orientation or trade union membership.
We may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal data about you:
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses.
- Details of the school you current work at.
- Case notes on any advice and support provided by AHDS.
We may also collect, store and use the following “special categories” of more sensitive personal data:
- Trade union membership (AHDS membership).
HOW IS YOUR PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED?
We collect personal data about our members through the application process directly from potential members and through our event bookings. We may sometimes collect additional information over the phone or in written correspondence with you.
For data protection purposes our lawful basis for processing your personal data is contractual necessity. By virtue of being a trade union we also process trade union membership status – this processing is carried out in the course of our legitimate activities with appropriate safeguards.
HOW WE WILL USE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
As a member of AHDS we use your details for maintaining accurate membership records and communicating AHDS business and information to you by email and post including our Head to Head magazine and relevant communications. We do not share your details with 3rd parties unless legally required to do so. The processing we undertake relates solely to members or former members of AHDS or to persons who have regular contact with us in connection with our purposes and your personal data is not disclosed outside AHDS without the consent of the member.
All personal data collected through booking an event are used solely for the purpose of processing and running the event. No details are shared unless you expressly state you want them to be. (e.g. Delegate lists in conference booklets).
We will not use your trade union membership details or pass these on to any third party unless legally required to do so.
Transferring information outside the EU It is not envisaged that we will transfer personal data we collect about you outside the EU. However, if this were to occur we would ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection and we would put in place appropriate measures and safeguards to ensure that your personal data is treated by such third parties in a country outside the EU in a way that is consistent with and which respects the EU and UK laws on data protection.
AHDS holds data of members for the duration of membership and for a further seven years after membership ends for continuity purposes, historical records, payments received and for the cohesiveness of future membership applications (where applicable). After this time all information we retain is pseudonymised and/or anonymised. Advice and support case notes can be retained for a 20 year period and reviewed again at that time.
All event booking data is retained for the period of time needed to ensure all payments for the event are received and for no longer.
Your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your membership with us.
Your rights in connection with personal data
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing.
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal data, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal data to another party, please contact us in writing.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Event promotion emails
In order to receive emails from us promoting AHDS events and AHDS partner events, members need to opt-in confirming you want to receive our event emails. Members joining from May 2018 do this through the membership application form and existing members do this in their online member profile. Preferences can be changed at any time in the profile. Non-members do not receive emails from us about events.
Changes to this privacy notice We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal data.